Monday, February 27, 2017

Robotech - Winter 2016 project

As a kid that grew up in the mid 80's, our lives revolved around the cartoons that came on right when we got home from Jr. High.  Voltron, GI Joe, Transzor Z and my personal favorite, Robotech.  All the other cartoons we fun but Robotech was like real life to my 12 year old mind.  Semi-realistic battle scenes, characters dying, fighters that look like F-14s and real cool looking mechs.  My friends and I even played the Robotech RPG during high school, although I'm not sure how that is possible now.  You need a advanced degree to figure it out.

So I've been keeping tabs on Robotech as I grew up.  Finally, the Robotech mini game Kickstarter came out four years ago.  I went in and got two box set worth since that has been one of my childhood dreams, actually playing a wargame of Robotech.  I'm not going to go into the whole mess of the kickstarter but I wasn't very motivated after I got my Wave 1 shipment (about half the promised mechs). 

Last year I ran into a couple guys at church that actually like Robotech as much as I did.  That got me in gear to actually get out my figures, put them together and paint them up.  I'm not a big fan of the game after reading the rule book, so I'm in the process of making up a simpler rule set that I will enjoy.  Something that will give me the feel of the show without all the silly Palladium baggage that comes with the official game.

So this is my November/December 2016 finished product.  I'm happy with the models.  I actually had fun putting them together but I've put together like 600 Victrix Napoleonic French and Greeks plastics too.  16 part count models don't bother me.  I had to supplement my Wave 1 models with some stuff I got off Shapeways, some Zentraedi Gnerls.  I also have a Cat's Eye recon plane I haven't painted yet.  The other day I picked up a MAC II Destroid Monster that is 1/240 scale.  A bit bigger than the 1/285 figures but it's a Monster!  Now if I could get my hands on some Female Power Armor I'd be in 7th heaven.  I missed out when they sold the pewter Gencon exclusive versions of those.

I'm putting on a convention game of this at our local San Diego game con at the end of April, Kingdon-Con.  I need to paint up some more units for that.  I'm also putting on a Team Yaakav game and a Swordpoing Ancients game I need to get a few units ready for also.  But, that's how I get myself painting.

So here are my pictures.  I've had one playtest of my rules and well... changes have been made.  The humans got ganked pretty hard.

This is about half my Wave 1 models

Little closer shot of the battle pods

Rick and Max veritech battloids

A few destroids.  I have another four on my painting table now.

Roy Fokker's Skull One

Some Shapeways Gnerls

Play test game, humans getting stomped part 1

Play test game, humans getting stomped part2

My die-cast Monster.  Hmm I need to add a picture of this next to a battle pod

The box it came in

1 comment:

  1. Incredible. That original diecast Monster box is so beautiful. You have a true appreciation of Macross and modelling skills to bring it to life on the gaming table. Thank you for your post and hope you're still wargaming some Macross these days. I've thought about Macross fleet level battles but building approx 4.7 million Bodole fleet craft puts me off..

    ReplyDelete